CORDAP event at COP 27: Advancing R&D to secure a future for coral reefs in a warmer ocean
Tuesday, November 8, 2022
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Ocean Pavilion, Blue Zone, COP 27
CORDAP will host the event ‘Advancing Research & Development to Secure a Future for Coral Reefs in a Warmer Ocean‘ in the Blue Zone’s Ocean Pavilion at COP27, Sharm El-Sheikh.
COP 27 Ocean Pavilion
In November 2022, Egypt will host the 27th Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC (COP27) in Sharm El-Sheikh. This is a golden opportunity for all stakeholders to rise to the occasion and tackle effectively the global challenge of climate change. The Ocean Pavilion represents the first time the ocean has taken center stage inside the COP Blue Zone and the first time a pavilion has been organized entirely by a group of science- and research-focused institutions.
About CORDAP’s Event
Corals support the livelihoods of one billion people but are under serious threat. It is time to raise the ambition to conserve and restore corals and reefs using inspiring science-based solutions. Conserving all corals, not leaving any behind, and even aiming at recovering some of the loss may seem impossible, but this is only the case if we accept the status quo. This event will promote a dialogue on the need to develop next-generation solutions to restore and conserve the world’s corals.
- H.E. Ambassador Peter Thompson, the United United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean.
- Professor Carlos Duarte of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
- Dr.Elvira Poloczanska, Science advisor at IPCC
- Prof. Jean-Pierre Gattuso, Research Director of the Laboratoire d’Oceanographie de Villefranche, CNRS and Sorbonne University.
- 40 min. talks
- 20 min. discussion and Q&A
Who can participate?
This event is open to all with Blue Zone accreditation.